Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Some cop thoughts

 Old Dog's brother-in-law is a cop, I wonder if he has ever talked to him about cop stuff.

Very rarely.  The one thing I remember distinctly is when that guy (McDonald?) was shot twelve times.  I asked him why didn't anybody step up to stop him and he looked at me like I was nuts.  The impression I got was the other cops knew the guy snapped and they weren't going to make a move until his magazine was empty; they didn't want to be the next target.  Don't forget, that cop was one of their own.

I don't think any non-cop can understand the nature of their job and I am amazed that they don't all become flat insane.  They deal with  things that no rational human should  have to endure.  One moment you could be dealing with some jerk who ran a red light and then your next call is to settle a domestic beef where the wife is clobbered but won't leave the man she loves and he loves her, too.  You might close out your shift digging an abused child's decomposed corpse out of a pile of trash.  How does a sane person deal with these situations?

There are only two types of people that cops usually deal with on a regular basis, fellow cops and fuck-ups.  I am not surprised that they often develop certain attitudes that I do not agree with but I am uncertain about any racial component.  Many of Chicago's police chiefs have been black, and a few black friends of mine have said that black cops are tougher on black suspects than the white cops.

In any case it's a big mess with a lack of trust on all sides.  I've never been jerked around by the cops and I take great pains not to give them any reason to.  Why give a guy with a gun, baton, and a radio to call his pals a hard time?  Maybe he just dug that poor kid out of the garbage and he has to take it out on something, someone, and you don't want it to be you.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment