Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Just Passing Through

I only saw that crane for a few minutes out the window and there was no opportunity for a photo.   I have a trail camera that I could set up if I thought it was hanging around, but I haven't seen it since, which leaves my to believe that it was just passing through.  My internet search turned up reports of a few sightings in Southern Michigan this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were all of the same bird that I saw.  My guess is that it got separated from the migrating Wisconsin flock and came up the wrong side of Lake Michigan in the spring.  I also learned that whooping cranes sometimes hang out with the more common sandhill cranes.  Indeed, I saw a sandhill near my whooper, so it shouldn't have any trouble finding its way back south this fall.  At this point, my sighting would be considered an "unconfirmed report" by the local authorities, so I doubt they would take it seriously.  I did report it to the International Crane Foundation via their website since they said they were interested in any whooping crane sightings.  They said they would put me on their email list and keep me posted about any future sightings. 

I saw something about those yooperlites  on TV awhile back.  I think they have only been found around Lake Superior.

Maybe retail clerks were a poor choice of examples. I was trying to think of how you talk to somebody who you are trying to get along with in a reasonable manner who is not a relative, close friend, or your boss at work.  I haven't dealt with the police a lot in my life, but I could tell you a few interesting stories that might better illustrate my point.  I will try to put something together over the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment