Search This Blog

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Pissing and Moaning

I will support Uncle Ken's rule about pissing and moaning, as long as he promises never to enforce it.  How about that?

My political opinions were formed long before I ever heard of Donald Trump, so I am certainly not echoing him.  I would say that he is echoing me except that he doesn't agree with all my opinions, and he doesn't express the ones he does agree with as well as I do.  For instance, instead of harping about what bad people those immigrants are, he should focus on the fact that there are way too many of them for our present system to handle effectively.
 https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBWhUEj?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

The reason our constitution doesn't prohibit slavery is that the delegates could not agree on the issue and, if both sides had dug in their heals and insisted that it be resolved one way or another, it would have been a deal breaker, so they decided to leave it for a future generation to settle, which they eventually did.  The 3/5 rule was a compromise. The slave states wanted to count them all and the free states didn't want to count any of them.  At least that's the way I remember it from school.

It's true that I don't get around much anymore because I am unwilling to devote any time or energy to it.  The internet has replaced the break area at work and the bars after work as my primary theater of socio-political activity, which is fine with me because it's cheaper, easier, and less stressful.

I think the reason the Electoral College is still around is that the states don't want to give up the 20 minutes of fame that they get every four years.  So much power has devolved to the federal government over the years that people like to remind themselves that this is supposed to be The United States of America, not the 50 Provinces of Washington, DC.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment