Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2016

getting back to Flint

Another bible story.  Well it serves me right.  Didn't I start out like a smart aleck quoting scripture, and then didn't I end up, like an Elsdonite who has lost his way, quoting it incorrectly?  You're right I remember now, it was that pomegranate, I heard it was a pomegranate, seems like there is some well known engraving with Adam and Eve, hurriedly clothed, arms full of meager possessions being driven out of Eden by that angry God.  You can almost hear Him saying, "And stay out," as the gates of Eden slam shut.  And I think that's where mortality and the 66 hour workweek came about.

I always thought the moral of the story was that God didn't like vegetarians, though I was always surprised that a vegetarian would kill his brother, they are usually so, well you know.  On the other hand Hitler was a vegetarian.

I think anymore the common consensus is that the Mayans overworked the land, had too many people in a small area and couldn't grow enough crops.  I believe one of those Hunger Games type movies showed Chicago as it might look a couple centuries after it was abandoned.  And then there were those tv shows about how the world would look if man was to disappear.  It was nice, forests growing again, the seas filling with fish.  Too bad we wouldn't be there to see it,

Here we go again with The Riots.  I assume you mean the riots of the mid-sixties about the time Martin Luther King was killed.  I don't think anybody thinks they had anything to do with the job drain.  I don't know why you bring it up.

I think jobs going overseas and automation are to blame for the job drain.  We used to need a lot of people make stuff that we only need a few to make now and the rest are twiddling their thumbs and not getting paid for it.  I remember as a kid they told us about automation and then claimed that it would create as many jobs as it destroyed, I gave that the old Bohunk fisheye, how can that be?  And I was right.

But I wanted to talk about Flint.  What set me off was your saying that the folks there had run their city into the ground, and so it's their fault, they had sinned by being foolish, and why should you have to dip into your larder to help them out?

See now, if you just said, I have mine and life is unfair, so what? And fuck them.  At least that would be logically consistent.  But this whole thing where you have managed your life prudently and as we know, never sinned, so why should you have to bail out a bunch of imprudent sinners, is hypocritical. 

This goes way back to I think about a year ago, (why is nobody cataloging us?) when we had our epic discussion about aiding the poor.  I think that discussion ended up, as most of ours do, with you saying, "Gosh Uncle Ken, you're right again, as usual," but I haven't the time this AM to look that up.

One problem with my side of that argument is that some of the poor are lazy bums.  Some of the poor are poor because they are lazy bums, but some of them are mentally or physically disabled, and some of them are just misfortunate.  Do we refuse to aid them because some of them are lazy bums?  And what if a starving lazy bum comes knocking on your door asking for a handout, do you refuse him because he is a lazy bum?

But these are not the issues of this morning, which I might add is becoming light at the rim of the lake, and time for me to be getting on to other things, so it's summary time again.

Basically it's not the fault of the people of Flint that they are poor and had an insensitive overlord appointed by a republican (you say RINO) governor who led them to impure waters and made them drink even after he knew it was poisoning them.  Just like if a tornado hit Beaglesonia and your house was ripped apart, there would be FEMA guys there to help you out and they wouldn't be saying fuck this guy because he didn't build a stronger house.

Oh and sometime next week I want to get to the similar to Flint situation that we are facing right here in the city that you would like to see revert again to the swamp at the bottom of the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment