Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Trolls, Wild Meat, and Wild Weather

I think I have seen that Michigan map before, or at least something similar. I don't know how accurate it is, but I do know that Yoopers commonly refer to everybody in the Lower Peninsula as "trolls", because we live under the bridge.

I don't think that a dollar is called a "buck" because of that movie. I have heard it called that for as long as I can remember, and the movie is not that old. I think it's more likely that the movie character got his name from passing out bucks, not the other way around. I'll put this on my weekend research list.

No. we are not allowed to shoot fawns. Well, it depends on what you call a fawn. Technically, any deer less than a year old is a fawn, but most people think of fawns as very young deer with spots on them. In this area, most fawns are born in May, and they have lost their spots by about September. I did see a fawn with spots once in October, but that's unusual. The first deer season, for bow and arrow hunters, opens on October 1st, and the regular firearm deer season opens on November 15. The law doesn't specifically prohibit shooting spotted fawns, but the chance of seeing one during the open season is pretty slim. The law only recognizes two classifications of deer for shooting purposes, antlered and antlerless. This is because, every once in awhile, a freak doe with antlers is taken, and they don't want to penalize someone for that. You need a separate license to shoot an antlerless deer. They used to call them "doe permits", but now they call them "antlerless deer licenses". Antlerless licenses are issued by a lottery system, and the quota is different in each county. Regular buck licenses are sold over the counter to anyone who wants one. The antlerless license is used to thin out the herd when they think it's getting too large for its food supply. If deer start getting scarce in a particular county, they don't issue any antlerless licenses there for a year or two in order to let the population recover.

Yes, people do raise deer and other wildlife on farms, but you need a special permit for that. Most of those animals are destined for release on private shooting preserves, but some of them make it to the meat market. It's illegal to sell wild meat that has been taken by hunting, so if you see any game meat on a restaurant menu or in the supermarket, it almost certainly came from a game farm. One exception I can think of is Australian rabbits. They are so abundant that the Aussies harvest them any way they can and export them for sale.

I think that your weather observations are spot on. I always wondered how I-75 stopped all that snow, and now I know. I think you're also right about most of our moisture coming from the Gulf. The cold air usually comes from the north west, but it doesn't become a storm until it meets up with the warmer, moister air coming up from the Gulf. Well, there's also the lake effect, but that's different. I'm not so sure about your California theory, though. I think they used Jello to stage the parting of the Red Sea in that movie. Meanwhile, it's 20 below again in Beaglesonia, and I've got to go put more wood in the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment