Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Here's What I Found So Far

Wiki didn't have much, but I did a web search from there. Apparently they use Bing, I don't know if Google would have more, but I'm kind of short on time this weekend. This will get us started any way. There was some other stuff, but I think these two links summed it up pretty well. 

This one is a blog posted in 2007. Not exactly an authoritative source, but I'm inclined to give it credibility: http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3005598&page=1

This other one is an article from a legal journal: http://www.michbar.org/journal/article.cfm?articleID=370&volumeID=26

One thing I got wrong was the name of the show. Fred maintained possession of the original "Michigan Outdoors". The usurpers didn't get him kicked off the show, they got the show kicked off of PBS. They replaced it with their own show, which was "Michigan Out of Doors". That show is still on, but with different people. It's okay as far as those kind of shows go, but it's not at all like either of Fred's shows were. Fred changed the name of his show to "The Practical Sportsman" after he lost the deer piss law suit because the court seized all the assets from the old show trying to get their four million dollars, which Fred didn't have in the bank. He started the new show with borrowed money, and I don't think he ever really got out of debt.

The Practical Sportsman ran for several years after that and was not cancelled because of lack of sponsors. The show never did make any money, and Fred got tired of trying to sustain it on a shoestring budget. He also had some family problems that demanded his attention, and it all just got to be too much for him. I seem to remember that he died a few years after that, but I don't know the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment