Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

I'm not saying.......

I'm not saying that all vaccinations are bad for you, I was just speculating on the reasons why some people think they are. Our daughter had all her shots before she started school. Indeed, my hypothetical wife and I both seem to remember that it was the law. The doctor gave us a shot record card with the dates all the shots were given, and we had to show it before they let her start school. I don't remember there being a controversy about it at the time. It was about a year later that the "swine flu fiasco" was in the news. I looked it up and Wiki has an article about it: "1976 Swine Flu Outbreak". It isn't exactly like I remember reading it before, but Wiki articles change all the time, and a certain amount of memory loss is normal at our age.

I don't think the 1976 controversy is related to the present day controversy about vaccinations. I have heard that some people believe that vaccinations cause autism in children, but I understand there is no reliable evidence that says it does. I am not really on one side or the other on this issue, it's not very high on my list of priorities of things to be concerned about. If this be "flip-flopping", so be it. There are only so many hours in a day, and I've got firewood to cut. We haven't gotten flu shots for a long time, and we haven't had the flu for a long time. This doesn't mean we're against flu shots, it just means that we don't get them for ourselves anymore. If you did everything that they say you're supposed to do, you wouldn't have any time for yourself.

Since you like stories so much, I just remembered another one: My shots were all up to date when I started school, I got them from our family doctor. Unbeknownst to me, my mother had signed me up to get my future shots at school because they were free. One day they unexpectedly herded us all into a vacant classroom and told us to line up for our shots. It was no big deal to me, but most of the other kids started screaming, crying, and throwing up. I thought, "What's the matter with these people, haven't they ever gotten shots before?" When it was my turn, I asked the nurse what shot we were getting today, and she said it was a tetanus booster. I told her not to bother because I had just gotten that particular shot from my doctor a few days ago, which was the truth. Apparently the nurse didn't believe me because she sent another lady to call my mother and ask her about it. The lady came back a few minutes later and said that my mother told her I never had that shot. I didn't argue because I figured that my mother knew more about it than I did and I must have been mistaken.

I came down sick a few days later, and I told my mother that I wondered how I could be sick with all the shots I had been getting lately. My mom said "What do you mean by 'all the shots'? You only had one shot last week. I said, "Yeah, and they gave me the same shot again at school the other day, so I should be doubly protected." Come to find out that the lady had lied, she had never even called my mother, who was not happy about that. I never got any more shots at school,  just from our family doctor.

The moral of the story is: Shots are not bad for you, school is bad for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment