Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

a musical interlude

I wanna go home
I wanna go home
Oh how I wanna go home

That’s the way Bobby Bare felt forty of fifty years ago, but then he was making the cars by day, and his main problem, as with so many of those geetar pickin’ types was the girl he left behind in the cotton fields. Well all those songs are like that ain’t they? The bars don’t fill up to hear about guys getting or losing a job, they mostly want to hear about looking for love. And more than that about lost love. There is something about the way beer goes with heartache that makes them an unbeatable combination.

Then there’s Iris Dement moaning about nothing but the dead and dying in her little town, and how nothing good ever lasts, and you know my eyes remain dry. So what if your little town fading, it happens to a lot of towns, people move around, if they don’t move here, they move there.

I don’t know where that came from. I guess Iris pisses me off. She has such a sweet voice, but then she sings such vapid songs I could just throttle her.

Oh Detroit. I’ve read of those plans to bring agriculture back to the abandoned zones. It would be nice to have a strawberry field inside an abandoned strip mall, cattle drives along abandoned express way. It would almost be fairy tale like, maybe it would encourage tourism, maybe Detroit could come back Baby.

So you know I had my rilly big shew this weekend. Debbie came to Chicago with a couple of her friends, and she was reading some email I had written to her where I said I thought those anti vaccine people sucked the big weenie, and it turned out that her friend was an anti vacinator, and you know I love a good argument, but I knew this wouldn’t be a good one because she is slow talking and meandering, and she would just quote some anecdotal evidence and then cite some study or expert of whom I hadn’t heard (but when I looked it or him up, it would be on some crackpot website), and we were stuck together for a couple days so I let it go.

Well it’s just shocking to me. I can see how some people get nutty about things like organic kale, it’s just their own bodies, but when they get nutty about something like this, one of mankind’s great achievements, and want to give the germs another chance and threaten the health of not only the neighbor’s kids but their own, it just drives me nuts, nuts I tell you.


Maybe I could get Iris Dement to write a song about it, maybe Bobby Bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment