Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

fishin n lyin n politics

Fred Trost, a true sportsman who spoke truth to power, gotta admire a man like that, even though I admit that I am no sportsman. I don’t know that I could stay awake during a grease bearing demonstration.

I did kind of see the writing on the wall though when you talked about him criticizing sponsors. Seems to me the world of hunting and especially fishing is built on lying, and some of those products seem like the throw your voice or have x ray vision gizmos advertised in the back of comic books.

Speaking of gizmos, I have always been suspicious of those Duck Dynasty guys. I never watched the show but I think the premise that they got filthy rich by inventing a duck whistle, seemed awfully shaky. I mean how hard can it be to sound like a duck? How could their duck call have been so superior? Even if it were how are you going to get filthy rich peddling a duck call?

And speaking of lying, how about that Brian Williams? He seemed like a nice enough guy, certainly had a nice enough job, it’s not like his ratings would have shot up because he was in that helicopter, he had to have known that the guys in that helicopter would have noticed that he wasn’t there?

I haven’t been following the story that closely, but as far as I know he has never explained it in his own words. Seems to me that if he just said, well I told a fib, you know how it is you are hanging around with your buds and they are all looking up to you and you are telling a story and at some point it occurs to you that the story would be even better if you altered a few details, and so you do, and so I did.

I think people could understand that, who hasn’t been there? It’s not like he told a lie on the air, who cares?

But I think he got lawyered up, or PRed up, or something those big shots do where spokesmen read statements and the guy is nowhere to be found.

And now I expect Brian will be found in some rural tavern in northern Michigan playing pinochle with Fred Trost, probably trying to cheat just a little bit, be we all know Old Fred Trost will be having none of that.


Well lying, how can you speak of the subject without bringing up the master, the big dog himself? Haven’t come close to him in almost sixteen years. Bush was the country lawyer who thought he was pretty sharp, but it was always clear he wasn’t. Obama is the city lawyer who can’t believe how stupid you are. But Bill, he could put his hand on your shoulder and give you the earnest look and start up that hoarse voice and you would be reaching for that fiver in your wallet before he even asked to borrow it. Before him there was only Reagan, who was damn good, but if you listened long enough you realize that he didn’t know much about what he was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment