Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

troubled times

Resigned, chose not to run.  Is there really such a difference?  But I did the crime and I'll do the time.

American troops booed LBJ in Germany?  This is something I have never heard before.  What year was this?  What were they booing him about?  While some folks were mad about us being involved in the war, others were mad about it not being prosecuted hard enough. But I wonder how hard the war was going on at the time he was booed.

My first year or two in college I was largely unaware of what was going on in the outside world.  When JFK got assassinated, I was unhappy about this cracker taking the white house.  The Kennedys had called him Uncle Cornpone, and LBJ himself had long thought that it was impossible for a southerner to ever become president.

All that civil rights and great society stuff would have improved my vision of him, but I was largely unaware of that, and knew him only as the guy who was fighting the unpopular war.  Goldwater struck me as bull goose loony and I was glad to see him lose the election.  When he said that he chose not to run for reelection I was overjoyed.  I rooted for Eugene McCarthy, but I was not that crazy about RFK. which didn't matter that much because he was not around long.  I might have gone for Humphrey if he had repudiated the war, but he did not, and so, like those Bernie Bros and the dems who were just too dainty to vote for the big girl, I did not vote at all and gave the election to a republican/

The Vietnam vets that I knew who almost all against the war, but they were the ones going to college on the GI bill so they might not have been representative of the whole group,  

I have heard it said that Nixon ended the war in Vietnam, and maybe so, but it took him a long time to do it and to do it on terms that he could have gotten when he was elected.  There was a lot of gamemanship going on and Henry Kissinger doing a strange little dance between North Vietnam and Nixon didn't help anything.  

Anyway I see LBJ like one of those Greek Tragic heroes, he really did believe in the domino theory. but Nixon was just some kind of conman playing poker with American lives.  Just one democrat's opinion.


I don't know what to make of that article Beagles posted.  It was long on opinions and short on any but anecdotal facts.  But it may be pointing to a a potential break between the public and the cops, not a good thing.  

In these troubled times  

No comments:

Post a Comment