Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2020

"Taking Over" Revisited

My examples of "taking over" were in response to Uncle Ken's question about what I meant by "taking over".  He seemed to think it had something to do with civil rights, which I guess it indirectly does.  When I used the phrase, however, I meant when one culture displaces the dominant culture in a given area and becomes the new dominant culture.  Of course the Indian and Black experiences were not exactly the same.  I chose them because they were similar in one respect, that the old dominant culture was marginalized when the new dominant culture displaced them.  As Uncle Ken correctly pointed out, you don't have to be Black to vote for a Black mayor, or White to vote for a White mayor.  I suppose you don't have to be Black to feel at home in a Black neighborhood or White to feel at home in a White neighborhood either, but it sure helps.  When I was looking up Hamtramck I remembered that it used to be predominantly Polish.  According to Wiki, it was German before it was Polish, French before that, and Native American before that.  Now it is predominantly Islamic, with mosques and everything.  Four of the six city council members are Islamic, and the mayor has a Polish sounding name.  None of these people could have gotten elected without the support of the Islamic community, which is basically the whole city of Hamtramck.  I think it's fair to say, then, that the Islamics have taken over Hamtramck, just like the French, the Germans, and the Poles did in their day.

Say what you want about that corona thing, I still think the lockdown was an expensive failure in that it trashed the economy and did not stop the virus.  The lockdown was originally promoted as a temporary measure because, let's face it, you can't lock down the economy forever.

Illegal border crossings were still going on at the rate of thousands per day long after the caravans dispersed.  Last I heard, they had slowed down to a trickle, largely due to the efforts of President Trump.  I expect this problem will rear it's ugly head again once he is out of office.

I don't know what's going on with those Chicago police, but I still wonder why they are mostly White when the city as a whole is not.  Go ahead and defund them if you want, just leave our rural police alone.  I have not heard of any problems with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment