Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

It's a Jungle Out There

Soil acidity is easily remedied with lime, that's not what makes gardening in Beaglesonia difficult.  Before you can plant anything, you first have to remove the trees and brush that's already there, including the stumps and roots.  About half the land is too wet most of the time so, if I was serious about it, I would make raised beds and then fence the critters out.  The higher ground that isn't too wet is mostly sand, which would require additions of black dirt and/or compost to make it fertile.  All this requires more time and energy than I have available at my age.

I have cleared a couple acres of the wet stuff over the years, and now I have to mow it once a year during the summer to keep the brush from reclaiming it.  The original plan was to turn it into a duck marsh.  Ducks and geese do drop in for a visit in the spring, but that could be said about most of the lawns and fields in the area.  I maintain a rye patch of about one third of an acre in front of my deer blind, which I mow, cultivate, and re-seed every August.  I have been told that a former owner used to cut hay on this land, and can see where he did some grading and ditching but, since his passing, the jungle has reclaimed its own.

Nowadays I keep busy cutting trees for firewood and forest improvement, but it doesn't take much to keep me busy anymore.   

No comments:

Post a Comment