Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Masking Up

I have read the recent postings of my esteemed colleagues, but I haven't responded because I don't know what to say about this stuff anymore.  Here's some late breaking news from Beaglesonia:

All the stores in Cheboygan are now requiring masks, at least on paper.  Some of them have posted disclaimers saying that they will assume that you have a medical excuse if they see you without a mask, but they're not going to ask you about it because it's none of their business.  This is the closest thing to civil disobedience that we have going on at the moment.  Walmart was passing out free disposable masks at the entrance for awhile, but now they are selling them for less than a dollar a piece, which is not bad considering that one mask is usually good for several trips to town.  I guess you're supposed to throw them away after one use, and that makes sense for a worker who has to wear it for an eight hour shift, but we only spend an hour or so in one store, and seldom go into more than two stores in one shopping trip.

Speaking of shopping:  A boy on my school bus once told me that he had been shopping with his dad over the weekend.  I replied,  "Guys don't shop, guys just go buy stuff, shopping is for girls."  Yesterday in the Walmart I realized that this is no longer true.  You can't just go buy stuff anymore, first you have to find it, and there is a good chance that you won't.  It has been said, when a guy comes home from a fishing trip empty handed, "That's why they call it fishing instead of catching."  Well now we can say the same thing about shopping, "That's why they call it shopping instead of buying."

No comments:

Post a Comment