Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Rich We Will Always Have With Us

While I was reading Old Dog's article, my monitor screen slanted so far to the left that I had to grab hold of it to keep it from sliding off the table. Okay I exaggerate, but not much.

When the author refers to the ruling elite, I suspect that he means the current ruling elite, not the ruling elite that has recently been voted out of power. Or is he saying that all those ruling elites are in it together? If that's the case, they must all have taken acting lessons because they are making a good show of criticizing and insulting each other. Do you suppose they buy each other drinks after work and share a laugh about the gullibility of the American people? I used to believe that, but now I'm not so sure. Be that as it may, what the author proposes is that "the people" overthrow these guys and seize all the wealth and power for themselves. It was an attractive idea when Karl Marx first proposed it in 1848, and it's still attractive to lots of people. The problem is that, as soon as "the people" seize all the wealth and power, they cease being the people and become the new ruling elites. Eventually another group of people will displace them in turn and become the new new ruling elites, and so it goes.

The author also seems to imply that the rule of law is a bad thing because it protects the property of the rich. Well, I don't consider myself to be rich, and the law protects my property as well. If the law seems preoccupied with the property of the rich, it's just because the rich have more property than I do. If I acquired more property, I'm sure law the would protect that as well as it does my current modest freehold. I can think of only two alternatives to the rule of law. One of them is anarchy, and the other is rule by the personal whim of the ruling elite. While the rule of law is not perfect, I think it's the best choice of the three.

Uncle Ken, it sounds like you have been watching too much television, which can rot your mind. You should turn the thing off and go outside and play while the weather is still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment