Search This Blog

Thursday, October 5, 2017

a day at the opera

Not a fan of the opera myself.  When I worked at the House of Chin one of the waitresses was a music student, and when she went down into the kitchen to get her order she sang The Flight of the Valkyries.  I believe that got the attention of the cooks.  She was a charming lass and when she offered us extra tickets to the opera we snapped them up.  I think it was the Barber of Seville.  In addition to the music it had a little plot to it, sort of slapstick and silly but pretty humorous I thought, so I guess you could say I like the opera alright, except for the singing. 

The William Tell overture, that rang a bell, and sure enough, the last part of the William Tell overture is the theme music of the Lone Ranger, a tv series beloved by Beagles.  Oh wait, Beagles already told us that.  I have a bad habit of thinking what I am going to reply when reading the post and sometimes missing tidbits of what is actually said.

Well four languages, everybody knows that, but it got me to thinking, what are the four languages?  German (mostly it's German), French, and Italian are a given, but what would the fourth be?  Mr Wiki sez Romansh.  Sounds like the way Daffy would pronounce Romance, and sure enough it is a romance language, a bit of Latin left over from the Roman Empire, maybe a bit like Romanian I thought, but it turns out it has a lot of German in it, and it doesn't have the status of the other three languages.  Looks to me like the Romansh might be the hillbillies of Switzerland. 

I believe in the original story William is successful, though in cartoons and popular humor he is not.  And of course that popular beatnik hero, William Burroughs once attempted that same trick only with his wife and a pistol and ended up a widower. 

I've heard the crossbow was such an advance on the ordinary bow that some called for it not to be used - death at too far a distance, kind of cowardly - because it wasn't manly.  But I don't suppose that lasted too long since winning wars is considered more manly than losing them.

Couldn't  remember the name of that gizmo so I typed bump into the google box and before my cats could wink their eyes up popped stock.  I hear even republicans, though as yet none by name, are thinking of backing a bill banning it.  I'm sure they are now flying off the shelves, this guy Paddock must be a hero to the manufacturers of them.  Seems like a modest little change, since fully automatic weapons are hard to get without jumping through hoops, it doesn't seem right that any fool with two hundred bucks can convert his pokey, stodgy, semi into one.  I don't think the bill will ever make it to the floor of either house.

No comments:

Post a Comment