Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

another morning wasted

I guess Beagles is right, this country has been rent by plenty in the past.  I'm not sure why the current rent seems so extreme to me.  It may be my fault for watching it  so closely, scanning the papers, checking my political websites every half hour or so, watching CNN from morning to night.  I suppose if I were living in the freehold on the edge of Michigan I would feel differently.  Bread would bake the same as it always has, the swamp would look the same as it did yesterday, the deer would seem as placid as ever.

Maybe it's because my rock, objective reality, is under fire.  It used to be you could argue with the other side using facts you both agreed on.  You could twist the truth (not that I ever did that) and you could slant things this way and that, but you both had to agree that a certain documented incident happened on the day it was reported to have happened.

It seemed more odd than sinister when early on Trump said Muslims had been cheering from the rooftops of NYC during 911, or that his inaugural crowd was bigger than Obama's.  Well it was simply untrue, obviously, provably, untrue.  Surely when they shoved the evidence in Trump's face he would have to harrumph, harrumph and say something like what he meant to say was, and if you interpreted what he said in the correct manner you would see that he had actually said suchandsuch.  But no such thing happened, he stood by his lie like Martin Luther in front of those 95 thesis nailed to the door.  It was a big deal at the time, but  quickly faded in the rush of Trumpisms from which we (well those of us who scan the papers and the political websites and watch CNN all day) suffer to this very day.  But it was a big deal to me.  How can I argue with someone about the shade of green of the tree in my backyard if they maintain that there is no tree at all?

Who are these people?, Well I don't know.  I never see them except on tv.  In my watercolor class and my improv group, Trump jokes are made frequently, everybody laughs, nobody says now you guys shut up he is making America great again.  Well my city comes under a pretty strong storm from Trump, being considered the home of Obama, and a sanctuary city, and with our frequent shootings (though per capita not the worst) a symbol of lawlessness,, and there is our fiscal mess which okay, is our fault.

Like I said I see the Trumpists on tv.  They come in two varieties, the ones with suits, like almost everybody on Fox and CNN sometimes has one or two on their panels spouting alternative reality while the rest of the panel snickers.  Then there are the guys in the focus groups or interviewed outside Trump rallies who seem incapable of putting two coherent sentences together.


Well there I go, like Click and Clack, another morning wasted ranting about Trump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment