Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

okey dokey or hokey pokey

I simplified the math on that wildlife thing, and I'm not sure I understand it all, but the main point is that sometimes math, to use a technical term, acts crazy, and thus the forces of nature that obey the laws of math act crazy too. 


I did have sort of a Ted Nugent moment on the bus to Chicago to take my physical.  I had taken some speed and drank a lot of beer, the train left Champaign at 2AM, and by the time I got on the bus i had to piss like a racehorse.  There was no john on the bus, and it occurred to me that I could just piss in my pants, surely the army would take a dim view of that and likely decide that I was not fighting material, but when I thought of that pool of pee sloshing across the floor, to the back of the bus when we accelerated, and towards the front when we broke, lapping at the shoes of my fellow potential draftees I just couldn't do it.

It's hard to be against all wars.  What do you do when they invade your country?  What do you do, as the draft boards were reported to be fond of asking, if they are raping your granny?  My draft board didn't ask me that and I didn't bring it up.

Is The Good Place on tv again?  I could look it  up, but as long as I am here in The Institute (we do wear black robes and powdered wigs don't we?  (how did that powdered wig thing become de rigor for judges anyway?  A question for another day.)), maybe one of the dawgs could tell me what  night  it is on and on what channel.

Chaos is a pretty good book, explains the whole thing very well, which is something I'm sure I didn't do very well (note my confusion between forces and laws, in that first paragraph.  I read a couple other books by Gleick after that, one on Isaac Newton, and one called Faster, and neither of them were so hot, I guess it was the subject matter and not the author.  I may reread it myself now that it is off the shelf, some of the stuff I took away from it, I am a little fuzzy about anymore.  Strange Attractors, I could use a little reading up on that.

Plenty of weird stuff going on with the Saudis, our bedrock allies in the middle east.  How about that war they are waging with Yemen that nobody outside the area cares much about it?  But our leader has nimbly done the sword dance with those guys - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/may/21/trump-joins-ceremonial-sword-dance-in-saudi-arabia-video - so probably everything is okey dokey, or maybe hokey pokey, I forget the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment