Search This Blog

Monday, April 3, 2017

Regular People

What I mean by "regular people" is people that aren't African, Asian, Hispanic, gay, transgender, hippies, red necks, or anything else like that. Just regular people. In our lifetimes, we have seen the elevation of all kinds of people that used to be marginalized, and now it's the regular people who are marginalized. I saw it coming way back in the 60s, with all the concern for minority rights. It occurred to me back then that, if all the minorities got together, they would constitute the majority, and we would become the minority. Of course I was paranoid in those days, worried about the Russians taking over the world, imagining a communist under every bed, and blaming them for every problem we faced, including bad weather. So who's paranoid now?

Maybe those Brexit people are paranoid, and who can blame them? I read someplace, more than once, that the British people are on track to becoming a minority in their own country in a few decades. I used to know some British and Irish people on the internet, and they were always complaining that "Brussels" was sticking it to them. One day I asked them what Brussels had to do with anything, and they explained that Brussels was the capitol of the European Union. It seems that the Brits have come to think of Brussels the way my ilk thinks of Washington D.C., blaming it for every problem they face, including bad weather. Funny how people tend top personify a city like that. When I worked at the paper mill, it was always "Cincinnati says this, and Cincinnati says that." One day in a meeting, some smart aleck asked, "Is Cincinnati his first name or his last name?"

No comments:

Post a Comment