Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Kumbaya

In the meantime we can all wonder is it funny ha ha, or funny like a clown.

When Uncle Ken provided one of his rare links I didn't follow up on it, figuring that it had to be the classic Joe Pesci scene from Scorcese's Goodfellas.  But then Mr. Beagles stated it was an awful film clip and I'm thinking, how can that be?  It was a great scene in a great movie but maybe Mr. Beagles didn't like it, for whatever reason; that's his privilege.  Just to be sure that my reality isn't skewed I followed the provided link and lookit this, different scene entirely, the one where Pesci's character shoots the guy in the foot and, then later, shoots him dead.  Not funny ha-ha or funny like a clown at all.  This is a link to, what I believe is, the correct scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC5al-btIEw

Now I'm thinking, what is Uncle Ken up to?  Did he post the link solely based on the clip's title and didn't view it?  Was it intentional misdirection to lead to a more subtle understanding of funny ha-ha?  This is why my posts have become less frequent; my tendency to overthink things precludes timely responses for some of the topics being discussed.

-----

"Regular people," for instance.  Mr. Beagles provided quite a list of folks he doesn't consider regular and I was surprised that he didn't include Jews, Indians (both American and sub-continental Asian), Ay-Rabs, Turks, Muslims, the handicapped, albinos, or the left-handed.  Maybe they're included in the "anything like that" group.  I also noted that he did not say those groups were evil, lazy, shifty-eyed, or stupid, or that he did or didn't like any individuals of those groups but that he simply doesn't consider them "regular."  That's a narrow view I don't share because once you get past some superficial differences everybody is pretty regular in their own way and wants the same things: shelter, food & water, and security for their families.  It's a simplistic view, I know, and doesn't consider self-fulfillment, greed (either personal or corporate) or the machinations of political entities, but that's all I've got for the time being.

-----

Despite the current divide in the US between city/rural or red state/blue state factions I think we'll work it out.  It will be ugly and painful but we'll get it done.  Globally, I don't know what's going to happen.  Maybe China should go piss up a rope, but what about our farmers who have tons of soybeans to unload?  I've never been that crazy about tofu.  Like it or not, the fates of all nations are intertwined and it is foolish to think that we can isolate ourselves and still succeed as a nation.  Global politics are going in some strange directions and I don't think it would hurt if the current leadership (of all nations) would pause, take a deep breath, reflect on what they're doing, and consider all the possibilities and their consequences.  There is much at stake and more effort should be made to try and untangle the mess we  have gotten into.  We are neck deep in the Big Muddy and the river's rising higher.

-----

From what I've read, there are two main advantages to the twill weave.  The first is that it "drapes well," which I understand is how it appears on the body.  The second is that, because of the diagonal nature of the weave, dirt and stains are less apparent which is why it is popular for work clothing.  Makes sense to me.

The most popular type of weave is called the "satin" weave, typically used in bed sheets and simple stuff like that.  I won't get into knitting which, topologically speaking, is fascinating in itself and is, in many ways, superior to woven products.  I don't know if  knitting is considered a form of weaving; maybe it is.  Anyhow, few things can hug the curves like a tight cashmere sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment