Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2016

where the tea party has drifted

So you think if there hadn't been an Obama there wouldn't have been a tea party.  I've heard that before, and I think more specifically the blame is on Obamacare, but is that because it is Obamacare or that it was Obama's plan?  There is no Das Kapital or Mein Kampf for the tea party movement, there is no book, there is no leader, there are no big idea men behind it.

Some of those guys in the knee britches and funny hats were libertarians, some were evangelicals, some were extreme right wingers and some, of course, were bull goose loony,  They were very vague when it came to expressing what they were for, but they were pretty clear on what they were against.  Which was pretty much everything that was going on.  They were mad as hell and they weren't going to take it anymore. 


And that's why I agree with you that Trump is the subsumation of the tea party, the ultimate flower of that grassroots growth.  I think that's why you don't hear much about that party anymore.  Some of the partiers would prefer to be called Trumpists, and others are a little embarrassed that they were ever part of a movement that gave birth to this stink flower.  Most of them are keeping their heads down, wondering whether or not go get aboard the Trump Train.  Is that a sturdy bridge to Sugar Mountain before the rails or is it a rickety wreck that will plunge the train down to the abyss of destruction?

Sending a message is tricky.  When you vote the message you will be sending is that you like Trump.  More specifically you would probably like to say that you consider Trump the lesser of two evils, but a vote's a vote, in the record book it will count the same as the vote of the guy who thinks that Trump is the coolest guy to ever come down the pike. 


When I voted for Bernie in the Illinois primary, I knew that the big girl was going to win the election so I thought I was sending a message to her to move leftwards.  Had the election been closer I might have voted for the big girl because I was afraid that Bernie wouldn't be able to beat whoever the republicans put up.

Some of these republicans, like the Bushes, are saying they won't vote for Trump or the big girl.  My sister tells me the Bernie girls in her yoga class will stay home if (when) Bernie is out of the race.  This strikes me as just plain stupid on both their parts.  There is always a lesser of two evils. and as a good citizen your vote is your oar in the water from the ship of state, and it is your duty to try to steer the ship on what you think is the best route. 


I agree with you also that if Trump does get in the white house he will not get anything done.  He will send some flunky to go to congress to get that wall built, and when the guy fails, Trump will fire him and send some other flunky who will also get fired, and so on and so on and doobie doobie do on, and meanwhile, as you wish, nothing will get done.  And this will be a lot better than Lyin' Ted sending out his bathroom brigade to check ids at the door.


Life goes on also in my kingdom (I am the king and Buddy is the duke and Sweetie is the barbarian princess.)  Outside the finches are rather taking over the balcony.  Used to be just two and they were little lovebirds, and now there are six and they are fighting or mating or whatever and now they have four seed socks out there and they are eating me out of house and home.  But any day now I will be off to the plant store, and the farmer's market.  The winter wasn't that bad, but the spring is slow coming, but Summer, my sweet love, has told me that this time she will be staying and she will never leave me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment