Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2016

sex life of cats

I don't know what to say about this tv show about a house full of feral female cats.  I tried googling 'pbs show house of female feral cats' and came up with nada.  I don't believe that the female cats would kill their male kittens.  I have never heard of any other cats killing male offspring, and as a matter of fact i have never heard of any animal killing off its male offspring.  Certainly any animal with such proclivities could never survive.

I suppose you could claim that this was just an isolated incident, but it just seems too strange and the evidence for it, a show you once saw on PBS, is too thin, and I am dismissing the whole thing out of hand.

I can go along with all female cats in the house, it is their tendency to live without mates in their own little territories, and it's possible that these cats found the house so habitable that they put up with being crammed close together.  The normal habit is for the male cat to visit his harem to procreate, but he doesn't live there, and probably mama would leave the immediate proximity to protect any kittens she might have, and maybe this conglomerate of lady cats (Google suggests queens as the equivalent of tomcat for the distaff.  It sounds a little odd to me, but the only other word it supplies, dams, sounds worse, and worse still, vaguely French, and I rather like the ring of lady cats) had several tomcats sharing them. 

It makes rough sense that the males would be ousted from the pack, much as with elephants, and perhaps not the females, but this tomicide, I am not buying it.

The tale of scamp sounds reasonable enough, but i do wonder about the all female part.  How would you know if they were too wild to pet. and maybe by the time you had them checked out (by the trappers perhaps) they were of an age when the males would have wandered/been driven off.

I had a male and a female cat living with me in the late sixties.  Being a hippie type i never had her fixed, and in the time I finally did she had had seven litters for about thirty five kittens all of whom I found homes for so it wasn't a problem.  I had her first, and then I got him (a tuxedo cat), and for some reason I thought that living together they would be like brother and sister and not have sex, indeed when she writhed in hear he just looked at her confused.

But out popped several tuxedo kittens.  He never attacked them, or any of her later litters.  Perhaps he knew that he was the poppa of some of them and couldn't tell which.




I am appalled by the latest poll that shows Trump ahead of the big girl.  My ilk was always confident that once he faced the general electorate he would sink like a stone.  What to make of this?  I think at this point, we are just considering that poll a small one and an outlier, and things will get back to the real world once the campaign gets underway.

The polls show that Bernie would do better, but he's a new guy and nobody has dug up dirt on him so far, so we don't know, and in any case there is no way the big girl is giving up so we are pushing on, and it would be nice if Bernie stepped down or at least toned it down, but we don't want to say anything because we don't want to offend his tetchy fans and he appears to be having the time of his life so whaddaya gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment