Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2016

Sending a Message

The more I think about it, I'm not voting for Trump in November, I'm voting for the Libertarian candidate. That way I get to vote against both Trump and Hillary, two protest votes for the price of one. I am not interested in renewing my party membership, but that doesn't mean I can't vote for them. I still don't agree with all their positions, but I'm glad that they're still around to give me another option. I will probably split my ticket and vote Republican for Congress and the state legislature, but I may vote Libertarian on some of the mox nix offices like the school boards.

I looked the Libertarians up on Wiki over the weekend. They had primaries in a few states, but they were just advisory votes. The candidate will be chosen by the party faithful at a convention later this month. The odds on favorite is Gary Johnson, who carried the banner in 2012. He is a former Republican governor of New Mexico (1995-2003). He wanted to run for president as a Republican in 2012 and, when he didn't get nominated, he defected to the Libertarians. He garnered about 1% of the popular vote, which is pretty good for a Libertarian. Wiki says that it was a record for them, but I seem to remember that Ron Paul got more than that back in the 70s. At any rate, when I was a card carrying member, the Libertarians would have been thrilled to get 1% of the presidential vote. At the time, they had around 150 of their people holding minor offices all over the country and were trying to build from that foundation rather than pinning their hopes on the presidency. 

I don't think I'll be planting a garden again this year. If I ever get my firewood finished, I'll try to do more fishing than I have done the last couple of years. You seem to grow more stuff on your balcony than I do on my whole property, but you don't have to deal with deer and raccoons competing with you for the harvest. I could build a fence, but I don't have time to do everything I want to do as it is. Besides, as my hypothetical wife says, "If you build it, it will look like crap".

No comments:

Post a Comment