Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2016

snowmobilers, motorcyclists, and waverunners

One wonders about the D in Michiganders.  Other people are New Yorkers or Vermonters.  States that end in a vowel are generally AN states, Iowans, Missourians, and of course Illinoisans.  You could have been Wisconsinites like those Dairlylanders, but I don't know ITES, just doesn't sound serious.  And it just feels funny in the mouth to say Michiganers, your mouth is just not ready for an ER after that G I guess, it needs something to chomp down on to give it a push, like a flat rock before jumping a stream, MichiganDers, feels right.

We have tons of Canadian geese here.  They were still exotic when I first moved back here thirty years ago, but now they are everywhere, well not everywhere, mostly in the parks and I hear the golf courses, they like places with close cropped lawns, so no enemy can sneak up on them I'm told.  They have no enemies here.  I imagine it would take a pretty big mammal.  They see right through dogs on leashes, and they will make way for us great apes, but slowly and with kind of a dirty look.

I first came across the term snowbirds in Texas, technically it was, as you say, the term for retired northerners heading south tugging their airstreams behind them, but it was generalized to include me.  Generally they didn't like yankees, but nobody ever said anything bad to me, though when it snowed, and when the Texas Chili Parlor started serving beans in their chili those were blamed on all the damn yankees coming down there.

I wonder what you Michiganders mean by down under, I reckon Ohio and anything alongside or under it.  I don't believe southerners come up north to play in the snow.  I never saw their eyes grow wide with wonder at the thought of the white stuff.  My guess is it is people from big northern cities who are coming there mostly for the open space.

Snowmobilers, when they get drunk and crash and burn I think that is one time when I applaud the survival of the fittest.  Snowmobilers. motorcyclists, wave runnerites, all people who think the faster you are going and the more noise you are making, the more fun you are having.  Fie on all of them.  There was something on tv yesterday about some trail in the woods where motorcyclists liked to run their machines.  Oh, they said, they love it, because they like to get close to nature.  If they wanted to get close to nature they could fucking walk.  Idiots.

I've read up on that Illinois border thing. and the thing was most of action in Illinois before 1818 was along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers and most of the people doing it were southerners.  The more northern residents looked down on the southerners as lazy and not progressive, and they didn't want their state to be a backwater like, oh Indiana, so they got the border moved up.


I never knew that the Saint Lawrence river could reverse itself and water could go from the great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.  I know, I'm pretty sure, I certainly would have heard of it if Niagara Falls reversed itself, maybe it is just a spillway in a greater river movement?


Those places with multiple parties, which is I think, everyplace besides the United States, and dictatorships, have that thing where the parties get so much bargaining power from their percentage of the vote and then they can put together an agreement with some other party and then they get to chose their president.  I think the electoral college makes that impossible here.  I don't know that we do any better or worse than other countries in picking our leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment