Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Loose Cannons Sink Ships

I make small joke. The original slogan, back in World War II, was "Loose lips sink ships". I heard Hillary call Trump a loose cannon on TV the other day, and I can't argue with that. I remember Jesse Ventura, I even read a book that he wrote. I agreed with most, but not all, of his positions, which is more than I can say for most politicians. Another one like that was old Louie, a one time mayor of Cheboygan. If you can imagine Trump as a Native American Indian, that was old Louie. Some people swore by him and some people swore at him but, when he died, even his enemies spoke fondly of him, saying that the town would never be the same without him. He was swept into office on a wave of discontent with the status quo, and his supporters were not disappointed with his performance. He survived a recall attempt, but was not re-elected for a second term. I suppose the wave of discontent had broken on the beach and receded back out to sea by then.

You may be right when you say that Trump is just being himself and not acting. I never watched his fake reality show on TV, but I suppose he was just playing himself even then. I remember hearing one of his early campaign promises to create jobs and I thought, "How can he create jobs? All he's ever done is fire people." That was also a small joke, and it must have been a pretty good one because even my hypothetical wife laughed at it, and she usually hates my jokes.

I saw on the news this evening that both former presidents Bush have declared they are not supporting Trump and are planning to not vote at all this election. I guess that's one way to deal with it. It's kind of like what I was doing when I voted Libertarian all those years. It also reminds me of when George Meany, president of the AFLCIO refused to endorse any presidential candidate back in '72. Union leaders had always endorsed Democrats before, but McGovern was too much for him to swallow, and he certainly wasn't going to endorse Nixon, so he took his ball and went home.

Another interesting Trump story was on the news this evening. I forget where this happened, but it wasn't around here. This tow truck driver came out on a road call and, when he saw a "Bernie" bumper sticker on the car, he refused to hook up to it. He left this lady stranded by the side of the road, and it was 90 minutes before she could get somebody else out there. Although the tow truck driver admitted to being a Trumpist, he claimed that was not the reason he refused the job. He said that the last three Bernie fans he had towed never paid their bill, so this was strictly a business decision. He also said something about God telling him not to tow that car, so we might want to take his testimony with a grain of salt.

Another thing in the news, but not about Trump, was there has been some talk of splitting Iraq into three countries, one for the Sunnis, one for the Shiites, and one for the Kurds. I don't think a solid proposal has been made yet, they are just kicking the idea around. I seem to remember you making that same proposal some time ago. Do you suppose people are secretly reading our blogs and somehow preventing their visits from being recorded?

On the local scene, you will be happy to learn that all three of our millage renewals passed by a big margin. I expected that they would, I just voted against them on general principles. You said something once about how we can both rest easy knowing that there still will be a military and the poor will still be fed no matter how we vote. I suppose if we were the only two people voting we might have to think twice about it, and even (shudder) compromise with each other on occasion. Aren't you glad we're not the only two people voting?

No comments:

Post a Comment