Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2016

France fries

I've never heard them called Canada goose.  I thought maybe it was like that thing where technically only a subset of insects are bugs, but outside of guys in lab coats we all call all insects bugs, if we are being especially careless we might include spiders even though we all know that they have an extra pair of legs.  Sometimes, if we are feeling especially wild we might even call a dolphin a fish.

I googled Canadian geese, and all my responses were for Canada geese.  Who are all these people?  Are they normal people who are just trying to impress google about how erudite they are, you know like those guys who are always saying, well, you know, the tomato is not a vegetable, it is a fruit?  Actually it is both, but I'm pretty sure we have had this discussion before.  But I guess my question is, We don't call them France fries, so why do we call them Canadian geese?

I realize that you have a book.  Remember when everybody used to say "I read it in a book," as opposed to "I saw it on the internet."?  But anyway I have read a couple other books and come across the story about how some Illinois guys twisted some arms to get that choice upper sixty miles for Illinois.  Just think, if things went differently, Wisconsin could have had both the yoop and Chicago.  We would be living in the shadow of Wisconsin.  No wait, I would be living in Wisconsin, but when you told people, if you ever left Michigan, which I think has happened rarely, and people asked where that was, you would have to tell them it was over in the shadow of Wisconsin.

I don't see how having Illinois's northern border sixty miles north had any effect on Missouri disrupting any trade routes.  There wasn't much trade going on west of the Mississippi at that time, and didn't St Louis have a lock on the river?  In any event, when Missouri did secede St Louis was easily subdued, though a low level war raged in western Missouri even after the war. 


Speaking of wars, did THOTOTHOTOM, have a role in the revolutionary war. or it's little brother of 1812?  Seems like you have a strategic position.

You know your ilk is always going on about the founding fathers and how they were like demigods and wise beyond measure, but doesn't that whole awkward structure of the electoral college which we are saddled with to this very day, prove that they were capable of some pretty big blunders?  And this whole thing about how they didn't envision political parties makes them look pretty stupid.  I mean, what, it only took like four to eight years.  A lot of those guys were growing hemp on their plantations, which is pretty weak stuff compared to Colorado gold, but I imagine if you smoked it long enough you could get some kind of buzz.

Not that it makes all that much difference, though it occurs to me that without it we wouldn't have had W, and almost surely would not have attacked Iraq.  Maybe the middle east would have imploded anyway, but at least we could have kept our armies out of it. 



The inherent flaw to me was that small states got proportionately more votes because they get those two senatorial voices, and smaller states generally vote republican, but lately I have heard that the electoral college tends to favor dems.  I think that's because republicans win their states by higher margins.

No comments:

Post a Comment