Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2015

you ungrateful wretch

I think in that context of society I meant who I wished well, and whose fortunes I favored, who I felt like my efforts should make a better world for.  And of course I am being pretty hypothetical because I don't do that much anyway, but just in general.  I think you have to be careful when breaking up humanity into societies because they are not distinct.  It's not like everybody is in either one or the other, there are a lot of people in between.

So as a little kid you are clothed, fed, have modern conveniences, have free schooling, etc, and you don't feel that society has done anything for you?  You ungrateful wretch.  Well society, the way you are using it, is kind of like a team with leaders who can make rules that the others will obey. 

I've read a couple books by Tocqueville, and right now I am finishing up one by Trollope and their views on this phenomenon of America, and they are both pleased and appalled by how everybody is sort of equal.  Well you know we were generally aggressive, independent, types or else we would have stayed in the old country.  And then there was that frontier where anybody who didn't like what was going on could pack up and head for the woods where nobody could tell them nothing.

So we had our leaders, I assume you mean the gummint, but they didn't have control over everybody, and they had to stand for election, so they had to worry about that.  It's not like the gummint could pass laws where there would no longer be rich and poor, although I seem to be pushing for that don't I?  Well mainly I don't want the poor to be too poor, oh and that they should have a good chance of getting out of poverty.  I don't feel guilty because I am richer than some others, I feel guilty because I have become richer than them by having advantages that they weren't given, that were unfairly denied.  And it's not like I can say, it is these other guys (Them?) who disadvantaged them, not me, because, like Gabe and Walker, I believe we are all in this together.

And even now where you live in the freehold which is accessible only by taxpayer funded roads, and you collect that social security check, and so on, and yet you think you are not a part of society.  So you are still an ungrateful wretch.

I went out to the old neighborhood yesterday morning, Sawyer, 55th Street, St Galls, the old bungalow, Tonti, 59th and 63rd and Kedzie and even a little of the Marquette Park golf course.  Observations tomorrow and I will send you some photos by email.  Did you watch the debates last night?  I watched all of five hours of them and by the end I was just tired.  This morning I will be reading what the pundits had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment