Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Yep, That Sums It Up.

Not really of course, it just seems that way sometimes. I guess all this talk of the 50s put me into flashback mode for awhile. All kidding aside, I seem to remember you saying that you've always had a problem with authority figures: parents, teachers, preachers, and your bosses at work. When you think about it, what do all those people have in common? They're all older than we are, or at least they used to be. I suppose most of them are dead by now, there can't be many people left who are older than we are, and yet they still haunt our subconscious minds. We spent the first decade or two of our lives under the domination of the grown ups, and now we are the grown ups, but we don't get to dominate anybody. I ask you, is that fair? Truth be known, I don't really want to dominate anybody, but I don't want them dominating me either.

The first presidential candidate I voted for was George Wallace in 1968, when he ran on a third party and carried five Southern states. By 1972 he was also quite popular in Michigan, probably because of all those riots in the cities down below. For some reason, he decided to run as a Democrat the next time, and he won the Michigan delegates, but it didn't do him any good at the national convention. I remember seeing a part of it on TV where the chairman or somebody got up in front of the delegates and said, "Okay, we're going to vote again, and this time you can vote for anybody you want except George Wallace." "Ah", I thought, "democracy in action, just like at Sawyer School." and turned the TV off in disgust. Anyway, I had voted for Wallace in the primary, so that's the first Democrat I ever voted for. For some reason I never liked Richard Nixon, not even when he was vice president. I liked Eisenhower, but I didn't like Nixon. I don't know why, the guy just gave me the creeps. There wasn't a lot of choice in the general election of November 1972. I don't think the Libertarians had been invented yet, at least I had never heard of them. There were one or two third parties, but everybody said the were communist. I had heard that McGovern was way left of center, but I didn't expect him to win, so it was kind of a protest vote. As near as I can remember, those were the only two Democrats I ever voted for.

This time I plan to vote for Rand Paul in the primary. I don't expect him to win, but I don't expect Trump to win either. I don't know what I'll do if he does. The election isn't till next year anyway, we might all be dead by then.

So you agree that the 14th Amendment was not intended to make citizens of the children of illegal immigrants. Did they even have illegal immigrants in those days? Maybe we should just open the border and let everybody come and go as they please but, to be fair, we should open the Canadian border too. While we're at it, let's resume letting Europeans come here as well. The original "huddled masses yearning to breathe" free came from Europe, and everybody seemed to be proud of America in those days.


No comments:

Post a Comment