Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2015

guilt

I guess I do identify with white people.  I am white and so are most of the people I hang with.  We are dominant in American society, and here I am separating people into societies, something I have preached against previously, maybe I'll address that later, just bear with me for the moment.

There is no doubt that white society has treated black people poorly.  I think we agree that slavery is morally repugnant.  We did the wrong thing, we shouldn't have.  But I don't feel guilty about that, it was before my time, I didn't do it, groups of people have treated others bad throughout history, it is the human natural.

Let's go back to the way things were when we were growing up.  I think we had different experiences or different memories, but I remember the white people around me as very racist, they talked about black people as being inferior, and they just didn't like them.  They didn't want to be around them, they didn't want them as neighbors and they didn't want to work with them.

So I guess I identified with the white people, and I thought they were doing the wrong thing by not hiring or selling their houses to black people and that's where I get my  liberal guilt.

In the example of the black people marching in Marquette Park, I think the issue is power.  The white people have all the jobs and all the nice houses and most of the money, and they have the power to share it or not to share it, and the only power the black people have is the power to complain.

I don't know what you mean by the hispanics being a buffer zone between the whites and the blacks.  They have helped us keep our population steady, without them migrating here we would+lost population

It seems like Mexicans began migrating here in large numbers in the seventies or eighties, not sure exactly when or why then.  I imagine they came here for the jobs which Detroit no longer had at the time.  And Chicago has kind of central location in the country, and we are kind of a transportation hub.

I've been following that planned parenthood thing.  Are you talking the movie or planned parenthood in general?  The movie seems like a lot of hype and basically dishonest.  The promoters of the movie tend to tout it as proof that planned parenthood makes a profit selling fetus parts, which is not true.  Maybe you're right that the government shouldn't be funding private organizations, but I think it does that kind of thing all the time.  Right now it looks like it will lead to another 'fake' government shutdown, the tea party is calling for it, cooler heads among the republicans are trying to avoid it.  Right now it looks to me like the tea party has the edge.  The reason you should care is that everytime this happens government bonds get down rated, so that we pay higher interest and America is a little poorer.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment