Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Nothing Wrong With America

Glazer's was on Kedzie, somewhere between 51st and 53rd. It wasn't on a corner. I don't remember how it was spelled, it might have been "Glazzer's" or "Glazier's", something like that. Of course Sue and I were always growing out of things, but Glazer's would have a record of the last size we bought, which would give them a starting point. I suppose they would look at your record and project what size you ought to be by now, but you still had to try it on to make sure. We bought all our shoes there, and most of our other clothes. I remember they would measure our feet with this tool, kind of like an adjustable template. Then we would try on the new pair and, if it didn't feel right, they would go get another pair of the same style off the shelf. They also had something like an x-ray machine. You couldn't see the bones in your feet, but you could see through the shoes and your feet would look like shadow's inside them. They quit using it after awhile, and I assumed it was broken but, years later, I read somewhere that the things had been banned because they caused cancer or something. I don't remember that buying clothes was ever any kind of hassle for me.

I don't know what to think about that Trump, I may vote for him yet. It occurred to me that they might be putting him up just to make somebody else look good by comparison, probably Hillary. That's why I voted for McGovern back in '72. I figured that they put him in there just to make Nixon look good, so I voted for McGovern to spite them. Ever since that blue jeans thing, I have always tried to vote the opposite of the way I think they want me to vote. Sometimes it's hard to tell because they might be using reverse psychology, but I try to figure it out as best I can. They might be using Hillary for the same purpose, first to make Obama look good, and now this Sanders guy. Both of them were largely unknown until Hillary challenged them. Of course everybody knew who Hillary was, so associating their names with hers put them in the spotlight.

Deporting 11 million Mexicans might indeed be a logistical nightmare. It might be easier to let them stay here and move the rest of us to Mexico, just like it was easier to evacuate Detroit than to keep the Blacks out of it. Of course they shouldn't have let them into the country in the first place, but the Republicans wanted cheap labor and the Democrats wanted cheap votes. Now that they have made almost all the labor in America cheap labor, they don't need the Mexicans for that anymore. I don't know about the cheap votes, it seems like they always get what want sooner or later regardless of the votes, but I suppose they want to keep up appearances.

The 14th Amendment was written in the aftermath of the Civil War and was intended to keep the Southern states from denying citizenship to the newly freed slaves. I doubt that anybody anticipated that it would ever be used to encourage Mexicans to cross the border illegally just so their kids would be citizens. I read somewhere, though, that the Supreme Court lately has been basing their rulings on what they think the law should mean to us today, not on what it might have meant to the people who wrote it.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with America, it's the people in it. Maybe that's why they want to build a wall on the Canadian border, to keep the good Americans from getting reinforcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment