Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Doing it My Way

I don't know if I even have an ideology anymore but, if I had to pick one, I suppose it would be libertarianism. Mostly I just try to figure out what they want me to do and do the opposite, if it's not too much trouble. I wouldn't do anything that I really didn't want to do just to spite them but, if it's something easy like voting, I'll do it. I guess that makes me a contrarian, but a lazy contrarian. Mostly I just do what I want to do and try to stay out of other people's way. I have found that, if you don't bother other people, they usually won't bother you. Of course there are exceptions.

Do you get those robo-calls from Cardholder Services in your neck of the woods? I used to just hang up on them, but now I push "1" to talk to a human, and then I try to harass them. They usually just hang up on me, but at least they had to pick up the phone like I did. I think it bothers them a little bit because I had a guy last week who signed off with, "I really don't understand you Americans. Go fuck yourself!" I looked them up yesterday and found out that there is more than one outfit doing this. The first one that was shut down by the feds a few years ago sold their recordings and equipment, and the scam has since proliferated. Every time the feds shut one of them down, another one pops up to take its place. Last I heard, the FTC was offering a $50,000 reward to anybody who can hack into their system and sabotage it. I don't have the ability to do anything like that, but at least I can jerk their chain a little. It may not do any real good, but it makes me feel better. So you see, I'm not always anti government. In this case I happen to be on the government's side because they seem to be on my side.

I've got nothing against women, in fact I generally prefer their company to the company of men. I don't like abortion, but that involves more than just a woman's choice. I'm not particularly fond of children, but that little baby inside hasn't done anything to deserve capital punishment. I've got nothing against gays and colored people, but that doesn't mean I want them to take over the country, although it's probably too late to worry about that.

You said that you consider yourself to be a part of society. Which society? Maybe that's the difference between you and me, I gave up on all those societies a long time ago.

I seem to remember that the movie I saw about Livingstone was on PBS. Of course that doesn't  make it true, but I have read about the Islamic involvement in the slave trade more than once. I just looked Livingstone up to be sure. His real name was David Livingstone (1813-1873) Scottish missionary and explorer in Africa. I think Stanley was the guy who, when he finally found the lost Livingstone after months of searching for him all over Africa, walked into his camp and calmly pronounced, "Doctor Livingstone I presume." There are three Stanleys in my dictionary's bio section, and the most likely candidate is Sir Henry Morton Stanley (1841-1904) British explorer.

Our deer season is not open yet, but bow season starts on October 1. General firearm season opens on November 15, and muzzle loader season is in early December. Small game season opened today, but hardly anybody hunts small game around here anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment