Search This Blog

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Okay, Here's Something

 When I said that there was nothing new under the sun, I didn't mean there was nothing new going on in the world, I just meant that there was nothing new in my repertoire that I found interesting enough to write about.  Then, I picked up the newspaper today and found something.  Isn't that how it goes?  Just when you are ready to give up searching for something, you trip over it as you're going out the door.

It seems that the Russians tried to land something on the Moon a few days ago, and it crashed.  Then the Asian Indians tried the same thing and were successful.  That in itself is no big deal as far as I'm concerned.  People have been on the Moon several times in the past, but not recently.  I think that's because they didn't find anything up there that was worth the expense of going there.  I mean, if Columbus had returned from his first voyage to the New World with nothing to show for it but a bag of rocks, I doubt that he could have found anybody willing to finance his second voyage.  

What piqued my interest was that both landing attempts were made near the Moon's south pole.  I didn't know that the Moon even had a south pole.  How could it?  Since the Moon doesn't rotate, it doesn't have an axis.  How can you have a north and south pole without an axis?  Unless they're talking about magnetic poles, and I didn't know that the Moon had a magnetic field either.  Does it?


No comments:

Post a Comment