Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2022

no cats were harmed in the writing of this post

 Villa Viejos sounded so gay, well not gay in either of the current meanings of the word, but back about seventy years,  I can see it as the title of some Elvis Presley movie.  But it turns out that it has several meanings https://www.wordsense.eu/viejo/

The boyfriend/girlfriend is the most interesting.  You wonder if the English phrase came from Spanish or if it is the other way around.  Funny, the man in that usage can be any age at all.  

And Old Dog never got around to saying that he owns that piano accordion, but by not saying he doesn't own it, he is clearly indicating that he does.  And there is surely an interesting story therein that we shall have to wait to hear.

My portable typewriter looked like the one in the photo.  Well I think they all looked alike, ranch houses to the cathedrals of the hulking, dignified, viejo, Underwoods of yore.

Before writing this I was posting a description of my latest masterpiece on fb and suddenly blooie, the whole thing was gone.  This has happened to me so many times that I know to do the Ctrl-Z thing, but it is quite annoying.  All these Ctrl, Alt, Esc, and function keys, all kinds of shit can happen with the slip of an errant finger.  I would like to have a word processing program, that just acted like a typewriter (bell optional, I expect I would tire of it or it would begin to sound like it was mocking me).  New Yorker had an article on that subject a couple weeks ago, but they were awfully expensive, and they all had bells and whistles anyway, because tech types can't help but add them nowadays.

I like the idea of bringing typewriters to to Starbucks. a green eyeshade would be a nice accessory.  And how about a bottle of  bourbon and a pack of Luckies.

I have looked into some of those current programming languages for pcs and they don't work that well, and they are not the kind where you can just run with them like Basic and Pascal back in the day, and I don't think many people use them so there is no community.


I searched Spandau, and came up with a posting from December 16, 2017 which references the song, but does not contain the lyrics.  I imagine that the lyrics are in a post from a few days earlier.  Of course knowing the title of the song or some of the lyrics would greatly aid the search.

I have no idea about those Canadian truckers.  It is interesting that they don't seem to have any outside support.  Well these are truckers and maybe hanging at the truck stops south of the border has put screwy ideas into their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment