Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Nihilists?

"These guys are nihilists, haul them away, and if you gotta bust a few heads doing that, well don't be shy." - Uncle Ken

I thought a nihilist was somebody who doesn't believe in anything, but I looked it up to be sure.  It seems I was oversimplifying, but that's never stopped me before.  On second thought, it might be more accurate to say that a nihilist is somebody who believes in nothing.  Nevertheless, I think your man Occam would have been proud of me.


So, Uncle Ken, by what stretch of semantics do you call those Canadian truckers nihilists?  Did you mean to say "anarchists"?  Either way, I don't think so.  Boxer advanced the theory that they were after better pay and working conditions, which I also doubt.  That's okay, at least it shows that both of you are thinking.  My theory is that they've caught the protest fever from their American colleagues, but it's just a theory.  Maybe the truth will be revealed to us in the fullness of time, or maybe the news cycle will move on to something else and we will never hear of it again.  

I agree with Uncle Ken, though, that some heads need busting.  I understand that the authorities in New Zeeland are taking more of a hardline approach, but the Canadians seem to be just dithering around the issue.  These guys are obstructing traffic, which is illegal in this country.  If it's not illegal in Canada, they ought to make it illegal if they know what's good for them.  If the local police are outnumbered, they should call out the National Guard or the Mounties.  




No comments:

Post a Comment