Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

wildlife and wild Hetty

 Verrry interesting, the way those deer remnants calls to the animals of the wild.  Sort of like a Burger King popping up in the wild.  As bleeding as my heart is for sweet Bambi's mother, I almost want to ask Beagles to shoot another, just to get a new round of photos.  Once I am gone I want my ashes sprinkled in Wrigley Field and the Chicago River, but I wouldn't mind at all lying out there in the swamp and giving up my bounty to the woodland creatures.

Surely not all Beaglestonia is under a canopy of leafy boughs.  What about those fields where Beagles used to grow grain to entice the deer?  Another nice gift for Beagles would be a telescope.  I remember long evenings of looking at the moon, the nearer planets, and star clusters with my cheap cardboard telescope in the backyard of my house.  Late yesterday afternoon I had hopes to see that Christmas star but then the clouds rolled in, just like they did some years ago when I was in St Joe Missouri to see the solar eclipse.


Old Dog has gone down more rat holes than I did in search of Hettie Green.  I first came across her in a book called The Chicago Bungalow.  Traveling east on 55th there is a rather sudden demarcation when you cross Western and the solid chock-a-block bungalows give way to the older styles of brownstones and greystones.  I had always wondered why that was and the reason  was Hetty Green.  I read the wiki article but I didn't know about things like her eccentric son.  Well if you're rich you can jolly well be eccentric.  I'm sure all of us Fellows of the Institute can remember countless times our moms yelling at us, "Don't be so eccentric.  How do you ever expect to hold down a job and marry a nice girl if you go on acting so darned eccentric?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment