Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2020

Prairies

I used to think that Chicago was the only place in the world where a vacant lot was called a prairie until I read a newspaper article about Detroit that was written during the time it was going through its bankruptcy.  The article talked about all the vacant property in the city that had been abandoned by its owners, saying that, as derelict buildings were being demolished, much of the land was reverting to "urban prairie". 

I tried that Indian gum a couple of times, but I never developed a taste for it, probably because, as Uncle Ken said, it had no taste.  I seemed to remember that the plant it came from was called "giant ragweed", so I just looked it up to be sure.  The article mentions that Native Americans used it for medicinal purposes, but it didn't say anything about them chewing it like gum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment