Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Eccentric?

I always thought that only rich people were eccentric, poor people are just crazy.  I have been called a lot of names in my life, but I don't remember ever being called eccentric.  I am reminded of the time one of my paper mill colleagues introduced me to one of his friends as "one of the most oddball people I know".  I responded, "Well you're not exactly Mr. Conformity yourself."  He explained, "Ah, but there's a difference.  You are an oddball, I am unique."

Back in the day, when somebody was doing something goofy, people would say, "You keep that up and the men in the white coats gonna come take you away."  Nowadays I suppose they would say, "You keep that up and you're going to have to see a counselor."  Judging from my experience with school aged children, I don't think it has the same impact.  Indeed, as one of my bus passengers told me, "Counselors, ha!  I've seen lots of counselors.  They were never able to do anything with me and you won't be able to either."  Ironically, somebody did eventually come and take him away, but they weren't wearing white coats, they were policemen.  The kid hadn't rode my bus for a few days, and then one day I saw a couple of cops loading him into a squad car by his house.  I don't know what the kid did to deserve that, but I never saw him again.  

As for astronomy, I never developed an interest in it.  I mean, you can't do everything.  If I did want to go stargazing, Beaglesonia would not be the best place to do it.  The "fields" that Uncle Ken mentioned consist of the clearing around the house, maybe an acre or two of marsh land, and a 1/3 acre food plot in front of my deer blind.  The marsh would probably offer the best view of the night sky, but it's under water most of the year except for July and August when the mosquitoes would eat you alive.

I've got lots of wildlife photos, and I will post some of them if anybody's interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment