Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2020

Passing through

Mr. Beagles almost sounds like an antique collector with his old CRT television.  Ah, those were the days, when you could look at the back of the TV and figure out what connections were needed with none of this "smart TV" nonsense.  I don't think the new TVs will let you use a wire coat hanger as an antenna.

For a little historical perspective, according to the 1952 Sears Christmas catalog, a 17" black and white television would set you back the princely sum of $200.  I say "princely" because in 2020 dollars it works out to a whopping $1,963.99.  So, for the cost of a small black and white TV in 1952, today you can buy a 65" Samsung flat screen, full color of course.  Two of them, in fact, with enough left over for a couple of DVD players.  The march of technology is wonderful, isn't it?

-----

I've read about that Zoom thing and it's impressive, reminds me of a scene in one of the old James Bond movies where all the bad guys around the world (Spectre?) are having a meeting to decide the fate of the world.  I didn't expect the tech to show up so quickly and it's nice that one of the Beaglesonians has embraced it so fully.  Kudos, Uncle Ken!

-----

Cutting it a little short today.  It's been many years since I've had to deal with kidney stones and I think they're back for a rematch.  It can be tough to concentrate, but I think it will pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment