Search This Blog

Monday, December 21, 2020

critters under the big sky

 These photos are outstanding.  Are the photos motion-triggered or do they just take a photo every, say, five minutes?  I made out a couple vulture-esque birds, maybe three foxes, a coyote, and a feral cat.  Did I get them right?  

Naturally I am curious about the cat.  Do you have feral cats or do you just have a neighbor with a cat that wanders far afield?


The solstice passed just before I got up this morning.  Days will be getting longer from now until sweet June,  Actually they don't exactly get longer right away, there is some kind of stutter step where the sun rises later, but also sets later for a few days.  I think I read somewhere why that is, but it was complicated and I have forgotten.  Anyway we are on our way.


That Christmas star should be visible early this evening in the southwestern sky.  Had a bit of an urge to see it, but it looks like it will be cloudy all day and night.  Well no big deal, just Saturn and Jupiter in a line from the sun through the earth.  Jupiter is pretty bright, Saturn not so much, but together they probably would be no brighter than Venus, and Venus is fine, but it does not knock your socks off.

It looks like it will be cloudy in Cheboygan also.  Having that big dark sky to himself I wonder if Beagles has ever taken up a little astronomy.  Can he see the milky way?


And the vaccines are out.  Due to my advanced age I am eligible right after the medical people.  Seems a bit unfair why should I, who has basically rode this one out on my duff, get the vaccine before oh, say the poor 7-11 people who have to face idiots without masks all day long?  


A Christmas zoom coming up.  Nowhere near as good as the real thing, but a lot better than nothing.  I do like to kick my heels on New Years just for Auld Lang Syne, have a nice restaurant meal with a few beers, a few more at some bar, stand on the balcony at midnight to watch the fireworks.  I wonder if they just might have fireworks.  Haven't heard anything yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment