Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2020

let a thousand topics bloom

When I saw Beagles's headline I thought he was going to bring up Ayn Rand as a new topic, which would have been fine.

There is no need to conceal my name for I am proud of my valiant struggle with the forces of tyranny.  Not unlike that new movie I have just seen, The Trial of the Chicago Seven, which I highly recommend.  Got my blood racing like in days of yore when I have to admit that most of my revolutionary activity took the form of shooting off my mouth in various bars.

But I have to admit that in the heat of my glorious battle for the lights I sometimes saw myself in the heroic mold of those bold protestors, which was dimmed a bit by the realization that I wasn't establishing the worker's paradise, nor even advancing The Liberal Agenda, well maybe just a bit of the latter.

As I recall it was a lively topic, there were many developments, there were a lot of ideas involved, it was something everybody could take an opinion on and exercise the American way of shooting their mouths off.

Beagles's furnace though, not so much.  I'm sorry he's cold of course and his hypothetical wife, but the situation seems more discomfort than life threatening.  The wood furnace might be a bit different.  I remember well our own coal furnace in the basement, and I could tell some tales, which ok I already have, but I could dust them off, dress them a bit differently and present them.  But what of a wood furnace?  Is it just a coal furnace that you put wood into, or does it have a whole different design?

But as a topic it a bit lacking.  That's why I made up that thing about the C13 connecter.  Kind of like hanging around an open car hood with a bunch of cool guys and trying to impress by saying that it is probably the carburetor, 

Anyway it was Beagles who boycotted The Institute for a week because he wanted new topics, and now I bring up four or five and he turns his nose up at them and wants to beat the dead horse of the corona, one of the topics he said he was fed up with during his sojourn away from The Institute.

I guess I would be interested in the wood furnace, not really The 
Good Place,  Immanuel Kant would be nice but the dawgs show no interest in philosophers.  Davy Crockett however, who I said I would do research on over the weekend, and I actually did, was to my surprise an opponent of the pre-Trumpian Andrew Jackson.  He opposed The Indian Removal Act, and would rather shoot game than injuns.  He was a champion of the little guy on the frontier though wiki didn't go into any details on that.

He came from French Huguenot stock, a group that I feel does not get as much attention as it should in those dusty old history books.  His family name was originally de Crocketagne which does not sound like the name of a guy who would be wearing a coonskin cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment