Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

the golden rule

My forefathers got here before WW I also. Although the severe immigration laws of the 20s were not yet in place there were plenty of people calling for them at that time.

I thought that Beagles' claim of a million immigrants a year sounded awfully low.  I went to this site https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/immigrant-population-over-time which said it was 44 million.  Rereading Beagles I realized that he was talking about illegal immigrants.  If that number is correct than only one in forty four immigrants are illegal, which doesn't sound like that many to me if what you are interested in is driving down the population so far that social security is in jeopardy, which I have to say does not sound like a very laudable goal to me.

It was some years ago that we had a fairly long discussion of racism in The Institute.  Oh my goodness, a quick search reveals that it was just July of this year.  I haven't had time to go over the material, but I'm pretty sure that part of the definition was thinking that the race in question is inferior to other races, and I don't think the white race is inferior.  But I don't know if Beagles believes that some races are inferior to others, or if it matters because what matters to him is that he is white, so he is for white people, and he thinks other white people should think the same way.

Speaking of the Indians Beagles sez:Too bad for them, it's our country now.  See now this just sounds like white people for white people and fuck everybody else.

I was pontificating at the Ten Cat last Friday,  The subject was racists and Trumpists and I was saying that they are not bad people, they love their children and all that, they are just misinformed, they are not in the habit of thinking things through very deeply, and /I was searching for some universal truth of goodness, and I came up with, as I often do, the golden rule.  Here in America we think of it as a Christian thought, but all religions have it in some form. 

The attitude that we took this land away from others and too bad for them, and we should fuck over other races to keep it for ourselves, it just doesn't sound very moral to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment