Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2019

Speaking of Debates

Nothing is wrong with organized debates, I just never developed an interest in them myself, but there is nothing wrong with other people being interested in them.  I was a busy boy back in my high school days and, if I had joined the debating team, I would have had to cut something else out of my life.

Speaking of debates, we haven't argued about guns for awhile.  I seem to remember that Uncle Ken was of the opinion that armed security guards in schools and other public places would be ineffective.  Since then, lots of schools and even some churches have employed them, with mixed results.  There was one case where the security guard took cover behind his car instead of entering the building to go after the shooter.  Well, nobody said it was a perfect solution.  I'm pretty sure there have been other cases where the guards did what they were supposed to do, but I can't remember a specific one at the moment.  Here's one that happened in Texas yesterday:  Two victims were killed, but a volunteer security guard took the shooter out before he could do any more damage.  There were a half dozen other parishioners who had drawn their weapons by then, just in case the guard needed some backup.  Did I mention this happened in Texas?

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBYtmdR?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

There was another incident in Texas recently, but I heard it on the TV news so I can't provide a link.  At least three armed men tried to break into somebody's house and the homeowner killed them all with his trusty shotgun.  I think the owner took a bullet as well but, last I heard, he was expected to recover.  The local sheriff reported that there would be an investigation but, if everything is as it appears to be now, those crooks got what was coming to them.

Again from the TV news, I didn't catch the name of the town, but I believe it was in Michigan.  A knife wielding assailant entered a private home and started stabbing people.  One of the occupants got a firearm out of the closet and dropped the assailant in his tracks.  This local sheriff said that, pending an investigation, it looks like it was the access to the firearm that saved everybody's life.

Of course this is anecdotal evidence, which wouldn't cut it in a formal debate, but it's better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment