Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2019

Last I Heard

"As for that correction,  Isn't it marvelous what you can do when you separate children from their parents and keep them in cages?.  I reckon you are pretty proud.  Is immigration low enough for you now, or do you want to keep still more out?  Do you still want that big beautiful wall?"

Last I heard, they were no longer separating the children of illegal immigrants from their parents.  I seem to remember that that was stopped some time ago by a court order.  Of course court orders can be appealed, and I don't know the current status of that one.  Also, last I heard, the reason they were keeping illegals in cages was because there was no room left in the regular jails.  These people have committed a crime, and they need to be locked up somewhere at least until the overburdened courts can resolve their cases.  Also, last I heard, another court order said that they can only lock up illegal immigrants with children for 20 days.  After that, they were being released on the U.S. side of the border to await their court appearances.  I have heard that most of them were not showing up for their court dates, but I have also heard that most of them were indeed showing up, so I don't know what to believe about that one.  

I have said many times that I'm not a great fan of Donald Trump.  I disagree with some of his positions, but I do agree with him that illegal immigration should be curtailed.  The ham handed methods he has used to accomplish this goal might be necessitated by Congress's lack of effort to reform our immigration laws, but maybe not, since ham handedness seems to be Trump's preferred approach to most issues.  I was pleased to hear that illegal immigration has declined by 70% in the last seven months.  At that rate, it will be down to zero in another three months, which is where it should be.  Of course there's no guarantee that it will continue to decline at that rate, but one can only hope.  I have also said before that the Wall alone will not keep them out, but it might slow them down a little, which is better than nothing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment