Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Getting off my butt

You guys do such a delightful job in your discussions that I'm perfectly happy to kick back and read them but I guess I should weigh in more frequently, lest you feel abandoned.  I was going to make a clever comment about some topics not being a matter of life and death but guess what?  They are.  How else could you describe abortion and capital punishment?  Let me dig into my pockets to see if I have two cents to add...

Nope, got nothing but I'll take a penny for this thought: Life is precious and at the same time, Life is cheap.  It depends on whose life you're talking about, and what value society places on those lives to maintain stability and security.  I don't like the idea of abortion, nor do I like the idea of capital punishment but both are bitter pills that we may be forced to swallow.  I don't see any benefit in forcing a rape victim to bear a child, nor do I see any benefit in keeping someone like Jeffrey Dahmer alive.  It's a tough call, and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

-----

I'm not following the impeachment circus too closely but there is one thing I find regrettable, and it's that regardless of the outcome, Trump will be a tragic victim in the eyes of his stalwart base and who knows what they will do; I sure don't.  I shudder to think what they may be capable of and the thought of a president Pence is frightening.

The Russians are probably happy, though, and maybe they'll relax a bit and be reasonable in their diplomatic efforts.  Their plan seems to be working well for them and strategically they kicked our asses.  That's what happens when smart guys and gals are in charge and don't mind breaking a few eggs to put that omelette on the table. 

-----

At this time of year, with the great influence of Santa Claus, it's easy to forget there are other characters for the holidays.  You may already know of Krampus and Black Peter, but how about Frau Perchta?  She's a witch, just what we need to balance out that jolly old elf.


No comments:

Post a Comment