Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Holidays

Our belated Thanksgiving went well.  We had sunshine all the way to Charlevoix but, of course, it was dark on the way back.  With the clear sky and little wind, the temp was down to 14 by the time we got home, and it bottomed out at 6 degrees by morning.  It was back up in the 30s by the time I started snow plowing today, but no more sunshine.  My grand daughter and her people had braved the storm and showed up on Sunday, so we ate leftovers. Nothing wrong with that.

I think that Thanksgiving is a fine holiday.  What's not to like?  I like Christmas too, once it actually gets here, it's all the hoopla that leads up to it that I find tiresome.  The way I deal with it is that I refuse to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  We don't do anything for New Years, but that doesn't mean we hate it, it's just that we don't do anything about a lot of things anymore.  Then there's Ground Hog Day.  I don't care about the silly groundhog, I just like the idea that winter is about half over on that day.  Coincidently, Groundhog Day is also the anniversary of our wedding.  We try to go someplace nice for dinner, but sometimes the weather is bad or one of us is sick or something. If that happens, we make up for it around Valentine's Day, but not on the day itself because all the nice restaurants are too crowded then.  Easter is okay, but it's on a different day every year.  It's supposed to be about spring, but often our weather is anything but spring like then.  Mother's Day is cool, usually too cool to put that potted plant you bought for the occasion in the ground.  It will likely be Father's Day before you can do that with confidence.  Fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day are good days to stay home because there's too much traffic on the roads.  Halloween is my least favorite holiday ever since the age of 11, which was when I first saw Arthur Miller's play "The Crucible".

We don't watch a lot of TV, but we do check out the Science Channel occasionally.  I like "How it's Made" because it's about real stuff on Planet Earth, which is where I spend most of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment