Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Movin' on up

Uncle Ken is going to spoil us with all of his stories; is this the first time they are seeing the light of day?  With all of the craziness that we can't avoid it is a blessing to read these little gems.  I'm liking them, a lot.

-----

It's been more than ten years since I moved into my cozy little studio apartment, and it was an ordeal, humping all my crap the quarter mile down the alley to the new place.  It was a solo effort, just me and my hand truck, and I vowed I would never move again.  You can see where this is going.

More than a year ago my sister told me about this senior housing development going up in a former hospital, located only a couple of hundred yards from my current digs.  She even called the alderman's office to get me on the "list."  I wasn't crazy about the idea but I went along with it, taking the path of least resistance.  Nothing seemed to be happening but then I got a phone call and the ball started rolling and I entered the paperwork hell of government housing.  So, now I'm in the process of moving and I'm taking it easy this time.  The end of August sounds about right.

It's a strange experience to see all these geezers; I'm not used to seeing folks my own age.  Instead of a 400 sq. ft. studio I'm now in a 700 sq. ft. one bedroom.  More space than I know what to do with, and all of the stuff is brand-spanking new.  My only critical observation thus far is that there is no gas range; everything is electric.  Maybe Uncle Ken can give me some tips about working with the glowing red coils.

I'm slowly adjusting to this new way of living, taking elevators instead of stairs.  The view isn't bad, facing south with a direct line of sight to the downtown TV transmitters.  I'm on the fifth floor, the lowest available for us "independent living" types.  The lower floors are for assisted living residents and they have their own entrance; we're not connected.

This should be an adventure; all the food and kitchen crap is in place, leaving me with nothing but instant coffee in the old crib.  Slow and steady will win this race and there is a long way to go; lots of books, vinyl albums, tools and gadgets have got to make the trip and they are all heavy.  Oh, my aching back!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/7/6/22559807/ravenswood-hospital-refurbished-senior-tenants-cha-evergreen-real-estate-group

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment