Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Fond Memories

The more I think about it, I think the reason I didn't relate to the Beacon story as well as I did to the other ones is because I have more fond memories of my bar days than I do of my school days.  Lots of people look back on their school years as being the happiest years of their life, but not me.  Even when I was a kid I always thought of being a kid as a temporary assignment with no real future in it.  I remember when I turned 50 my daughter said to me, "Dad, you have been practicing to be 50 all your life."

I don't know why I made that comment last April.  I guess I wanted to say something about digging ditches, but I couldn't think of anything more to say except that brief comment.  I seem to remember that we discussed the subject more thoroughly later on, but that was the only thought that came to my mind at the time.

Our local TV weatherman says that the haze we have been seeing lately is from those big wildfires in Canada.  The smoke in the western US doesn't seem to be making it as far as the Great Lakes, but it could under different atmospheric conditions.  In our area, the haze has been staying high in the sky, but they showed a picture of a city where it was closer to the ground like in the one posted by Old Dog.

I have heard before that the Chinese cooking that is popular in the US was actually developed by Chinese immigrants after they came to this country.  I have heard the same thing about pizza, but a second generation Italian that I knew in the army said that's not true.  He said that pizza really originate in Italy.  Funny, though, when I traveled to Europe  with my parents, we spent more time in Italy than we did in England, France, and Switzerland combined, and the only pizza we found was at "The American CafĂ©" in  Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment