Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Wednesday already

Some new media hubbub lately about the formation of a new political party, created by some Republicans of all people.  I've been a fan of expanding the two party system but I didn't see this coming, not by those guys.  Could happen; lot of money in those deep Republican pockets but I wonder what name they will use.  This will get messy but it is surely going to be entertaining.

Entertaining, that's how I look at our modern political situation.  A lot of big mouths and show boaters, scrambling to suck at the media teat.  If I had an honest interest in politics I would be looking at pending legislation and stuff that's still in committee.  There's a lot going on in Washington and the media whores are barely the tip of the iceberg.  If I really cared I would be learning about the inner workings of Congress, who is on what committee, what states they are from, and what are the true power dynamics.  But this is all just so much entertainment to me, not only on the national level but on the state and local levels, too.  I couldn't tell you the name of my alderman; since he is not in the news he must be doing some actual work for the benefit of my ward.  Some folks are on top of all that stuff, following every little bit of info that seeps out of City Hall, but not me.  Is there a more pure expression of human folly than politics?

-----

"When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school," Paul Simon used to sing...

Notice that he says "learned" and not "was taught?"  A pedantic distinction, perhaps, but I think it's significant.  No sense in diving into another rabbit hole, just thought I would throw that out there.

-----

I don't think my little bud Groot is going to make it.  It was showing signs of life when it was sitting in a glass of water but after I put it in some potting soil it looked like it was drying out.  Maybe the more porous medium screwed up any root development.  I tried keeping the soil moist but no luck, one little leaf fell off and the remainder are stiff and brittle.  I put Groot back into a flask of water in hope that something good will happen.  Only time will tell.

-----

Has springtime sprung in Beaglesonia?  The weather has been screwy all across the U.S. this year and I was wondering if Mr. Beagles is experiencing anything close to normal.  Invasive species get a lot of attention this time of year; in Chicago the buckthorn tree is a big media star.  Are there any unwanted guests up there on the shores of Lake Huron?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment