Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

No True Scotsman

 A long time ago, a particularly brutal murder was committed in Scotland.  The locals all said that the murderer must have been a foreigner because no Scotsman would ever do a thing like that.  When it turned out that the murder was indeed committed by a Scotsmen, the locals qualified their previous statement by saying that the killer obviously wasn't a true Scotsman because no true Scotsman would ever do a thing like that.  

I don't remember where I heard this story, but I got to thinking about it today.  I have maintained since the beginning that Trump was no true Republican.  Indeed, I'm still not convinced that his original intention when he first ran for president wasn't to help Hillary win by giving the Republicans a bad name.  I was surprised when he got the nomination, I was really surprised when he he won the election, I was really really surprised when he seemed to be trying to fulfill his campaign promises, and now I'm really really really surprised that he is able to exert so much influence even after losing his reelection bid.  I figured that, after the January 6 capitol riot, his followers would start drifting away, looking up at the ceiling and pretending that they didn't know him, but it has not come to pass, at least not yet.

I read on my news app the other day that Liz Cheney "has not ruled out" a presidential bid of her own in 2024.  It's not much, but it's the only hope my ilk has at the moment.  You go girl!  


No comments:

Post a Comment