Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Uncle Ken's garden

 Went down to Gethsemane Gardens yesterday.  Rode the Red Line down.  As we came into the open air just before Armitage I realized that I have not ridden this since early in March of 2020.  The city is always changing ad it was an exciting ride.  I exited at Bryn Mawr and walked half a mile west and I was there.  

I used to favor the little six packs in black plastic that went for a dollar or two with a tiny seedling in each cubicle.  But unfortunately they are hard to find these days so I pay three bucks a plant which is outrageous, but the plants are much larger, and it starts the garden with a bang.  I bought eight tomatoes; regular, heirloom, and cherry, and four peppers of which two unfortunately are habaneros.  I can eat jalapenos straight out of the little glass jar with nary a tear, but one bite of one tiny piece of habanero and I am crying for my mama.  Well I paid for them so I will grow them, if they can overcome the morning glories that will try to swarm them.

I shall never forget the tomatoes Mom used to grow along the fence that separated the bungalow backyard from the next one.

But after leaving home I didn't have access to open land until 1970 when I was living in a trailer in southern Illinois, and I tried to grow a sunflower but the landlord's daughter didn't take particular notice of it when mowing and that was that.

In 1975 I was back in Urbana and rented a place with a vacant lot next door.  I had a fine garden there, maybe fifteen feet by thirty feet, grew all the regular vegetables and even stuff like Brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, and okra.  It was a fine garden and I was out there every morning to inspect the troops and to pull out weeds and what not.

But then it started getting really hot, and buggy, and I figured the plants could fend for themselves, and it ended up a big weed patch by the end of summer.  The guy who owned the lot was not pleased and after three years that was the end of that.

I didn't have another garden until the spring of 93 when I put a few pots out on my new balcony.  Every year I added more until now they span the edge of the balcony, maybe thirty pots in all.

The first year I grew tomatoes but did not get much.  Maybe not enough sun I figured and did not plant them again.  I grew mostly hot peppers, which grew well, and a motley assortment of flowers.  Not a big fan of flowers.  You can't eat them.

And then one year for some reason I tried tomatoes again and they grew just fine, so maybe that first year was just a bad year.

I was always pretty tolerant of weeds, if they weren't choking out my main plant I let them lived.  One year this curious little fellow grew out of the pot, grasped a railing and started twining around it, around and around.  What manner of plant was this?  Out for a walk one day I noticed a plant just like it and following the vine I came across a flower, a morning glory flower.  Well how about that?  Each flower lasts but a day and produces a seed so there were plenty of seeds around for the next generation and the generation after that.   One year I found a fence full of pink morning glories.  I came around in the fall and harvested seeds and now they have joined my purple flowers on the balcony.  I have a friend in Texas who has a fence full of Heavenly Blues, and she has sent me seeds, but thus far they have never popped up.  I'm giving them one last chance this year and then maybe I will buy a packet of seeds from the store.

My neighbor a few doors down grew sunflowers.  Nice guy, Willy, came over to the USA from Germany just after the war and I suspect he may have been in the wrong army.  Was a waiter at The Bergoff since he came here, but one day he died and I got a hold of his tall white vases and ever since then I have been growing sunflowers with the rest of the brood. 

One year I grew eggplants and one year I grew pumpkin vines, and I can't think of what else.  Have a hankering to try corn.  Not for the ear, but just to watch them grow.

Four of five years ago my sunflowers enticed some house finches, who were fine company, and I got to buying seed for them.  Early this spring a mob of sparrows moved in and drove away the finches, but now they are gone and the finches are back,  And I have pigeons too.  I like them well enough but I know a lot of people don't, and it's against the rules to feed birds so I worry about that.  But sometimes they just look so damn hungry I toss some sunflower seeds into the bowls.

I moved here the day before Columbus Day 1992, and the next morning I leapt from bed to survey my vast balcony on my first day.  I expect my plants are waking the same way this morning and I will be going out to survey them forthwith.

1 comment:

  1. Try popcorn. It looks like regular corn in the plant, ears are smaller and when it dries, pop it. We grew it a couple of years in Southern Illinois. In years past there was a popcorn festival in one of the small towns in Southern Illinois.

    ReplyDelete