Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Cinco de Mayo

I was tempted to forego my usual Wednesday post but since Uncle Ken has been silent since last Friday I fear he is cutting us off from the Catfish because of lack of feedback.  Okay, let me bring up something that's been bugging me a little.

Let me get this straight, the Catfish finally lands a job at the site of a new nuclear plant where his initial task is to dig a trench.  The pay is good, and he's working alongside some of his buddies, and it's a union job to boot.  But this does not ring true to me.  Unless there is massive corruption there is no way that a construction company would pay good salaries for a bunch of guys to dig a trench.  This is not the 19th Century; one guy with a backhoe could easily do the work of a dozen men.  This is just a trench we're talking about, not exactly something that requires skilled labor.  Unless there is a compelling reason to not use construction equipment I can't buy this part of the tale.

-----

None of the "huge projects" that Uncle Ken mentioned are still in play, for a variety of reasons.  Mostly, it's "been there, done that."  I learned what I wanted to learn, made the things I wanted to make, and ran into the bottleneck of trying to work effectively in a studio apartment.  Noise and dust are not something I like to deal with, especially late at night.  The makerspace would have worked out better if I had a reliable vehicle to haul crap back and forth and I just wasn't getting my money's worth with the monthly fees.

Nothing going on with the pasta, either.  I just posed a question to you guys asking if you had any experience with making it.  It's not a dead idea yet but I think I need a different flour for best results.  I also have to practice my rolling pin skills.

There is a new project, though, if you want to call it that.  Last Friday as I was walking to the supermarket I saw a big tree branch laying in the parkway between the sidewalk and the street.  I noticed little buds on some of the twigs so I snapped off a twig, took it home, stuck it in a glass of water, thinking that growing a tree would be a good thing to do.  My niece brought me some potting soil last night so now I have a little (very little!) greenery in the apartment.  I am cautiously optimistic.  The little guy's name is Groot.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment